Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Fun :)

This year, Thanksgiving was small at our house.....it consisted of: myself, my youngest sister, Jill, my parents and my mom's dad and his wife, Glenda. We really needed to have a lot more people considering the size of the turkey, 32 lbs. :) My aunt and her son's raise turkeys for 4H or something similar and the 32 pounder was one of the smallest! Imagine hauling 50+ of those ginormous birds around!
As traditionally we have Rot Kohl (red cabbage) for dinner I assisted with the prepartion of that! We also had Struedel, but I didn't get any pictures of the desserts.....I hope to make my siblings homesick with these pictures! :) Katie, the heart made of cloves on the onion is for you. Remember when we got really crafty with this? Good times.....

Me decorating my onion, to be placed in the pot with the red cabbage. Vinegar and sugar are also added to the water and then it is all boiled for a while to make Rot Kohl!! yum, yum When I was a little girl, my Oma made the Rot Kohl and thus it has become a Thanksgiving tradition. I love it!! :)
Jill has become master of the rolls! heheh Seriously, she makes the most amazing rolls and sweet rolls. She made some caramel, toffee sweet rolls that are absolutely amazing! I have tried making sweet rolls myself and they just don't turn out quite the same......She is much more patient than I am when it comes to baking.....



Here is Grandpa and Grandma Glenda all ready to chow down! Grandpa even posed for the picture....he is such a good sport! And look at that marvelous spread of food!! That's right, we were pretty sick after the meal, but it all sure tasted great!



Jill with the gravy.



The Turkey.....You should have seen it before my dad carved some meat off of it! It took two 16" Dutch Ovens to cook it and boy was it yummy! You should have see us trying to get the Turkey out of the Dutch Ovens.....quite humorous! :D


Here is a plateful of Thanksgiving goodness, Crystal that is you on the phone! :) Crystal called just as we had finished the prayer and were getting ready to eat. So, she, Andy, Syd and Ashlyn joined us for our meal.




Ok, this is a good story......Another Thanksgiving tradition is that my Uncle Rod and his family as well as my Uncle Bruce and his family come to our house to play games. Why, you ask? Because we are amazingly, awesome and oh so much fun, of course!! :) Anyway, we played Apples to Apples first, just to get started. Landon had to work so our group got a bit smaller, not too much though. It was the four of us, Jill, Mom, Dad and me and then Rod, Gina, Trisha, Josh, Payton, Kayla and Tanner. And what is more fun with such a group than Ligretto?? Awesome game for those who have never played it! Well, with such a large group, it was difficult to get to the other end of the table, thus making it hard to get rid of you cards. I complained about this and mom said questioned why I didn't just jump. Attempting to demonstrate why this was a bad idea, and in all honesty, not at all thinking, I jumped across the table. Not my brightest idea.......I broke the table leg, thus ending our Ligretto fun....Sorry everyone! At least we all laughed.......although, Mom did call me Tubbs...... :)




And that is our Thanksgiving fun!! I hope that this makes you all miss us and want to make every effort to come home for the fun next year!! :)






4 comments:

Holmes said...

If you hadn't described the food I wouldn't have felt so homesick. I remember Thanksgiving at your house 5 yrs ago. I haven't had Thanksgiving Dinner in 3 years :( Miss the games too!

Dana Cheryl said...

Oh my gosh! That's the biggest turkey I've ever seen!!

So you've made me homesick for your family Thanksgiving Dinner and I've never even been to one. lol!

Congrats on running the race. Sorry I've been awol. I'm trying to get everything unpacked this time. ha ha!! I actually had to call the evil little elf yesterday with the result being that I'm suffering post-tramatic stress syndrome today. lol!

Miss ya! Love ya'll!!

Lisa Lou said...

One day we will have it again with you all home! I was thinking about that today, you and Mike will have been married 5 years in June.

I'm glad I made someone homesick! :) I understand wanting to get unpacked, especially when you will come back and go straight to school. When do you all head out on your cross country trip?

Andy, Crystal, and the monsters said...

So I havent checked anyones blog in a VERY long time but After reading this thanksgiving post I realized something... One I am EXTREMELY hungry and TWO isnt this like the third table you've broke or Moms?? Also looking at your blog I realized that Ashlyn really didnt have ANY hair and you almost have more pictures of the girls on your blog than I do on mine!! :)